---------- Proud to be supported by ----------
Charity Reg No. 1158409
Patron: Lord Bill McKenzie
History and Heritage
Wardown Park is the jewel in the crown of Luton's parks. It is one of seven district parks in Luton, providing a green refuge within walking distance of the town centre.
The Park provides the setting for Wardown Park museum and offers a wide range of opportunities for formal and informal recreational activities.
The historic significance of the Park is acknowledged by its inclusion as Grade II on the English Heritage Register of Historic Parks and Gardens, particularly due to the rare combination of Victorian and Edwardian purpose-built design features that make up the Park.
We owe the existence of the Park to a group of local councillors and civic leaders who arranged for the purchase over 100 years ago, on behalf of the people of the town, of the house, gardens and land that now forms the Park.
Their vision and commitment have left us with a legacy that we have a responsibility to maintain and cherish.
In 2005, a grant from the National Lottery led to a full-scale restoration of the park’s main features including renovations to the daisy chain wall and the installation of an exact replica of the drinks fountain from 1917. Future plans include renovating the suspension bridge, boathouse and lake.